SELECTED BOOKS AND EXHBITION CATALOGUES
• American Quilts: The Democratic Art. New York: Sterling Publishing, Inc., 2009, revised second edition 2014.
• Electrified: The Art of the Contemporary Electric Guitar. New York: Sterling Publishing, Inc. 2011.
• Bird Decoys of North America: Nature, History, and Art. New York: Sterling Publishing, Inc. 2010.
• Hand Made, Hand Played: The Art and Craft of Contemporary Guitars. Asheville, NC: Lark Books, 2008.
• Contemporary Art Quilts: The Collection of John M. Walsh III. Lexington, Kentucky: University of Kentucky Press, 2001.
• American Baskets: A Cultural History of a Traditional Domestic Art. New York: Clarkson Potter, Inc., 2000.
• The Art Quilt. Southport, CT: Hugh Lauter Levin Associates. 1997.
• Quilts: A Living Tradition. Southport, CT: Hugh Lauter Levin Associates. 1995.
• America's Traditional Crafts. Southport, CT: Hugh Lauter Levin Associates, 1993.
• Call to the Sky: The Decoy Collection of James M. McCleery, M.D. Houston: Houston Museum of Natural Science and Gulf Publishing, 1992.
BOOKS AND CATALOGUES: SELECTED INTRODUCTIONS AND ESSAYS
• “Seeing America: The Stephen and Petra Levin Collection of American Folk Art.” American Beauty: The American Folk Art Collection of Stephen and Petra Levin. New York: Sotheby’s, 2015.
• “American Refinement: The Ralph Esmerian Collection of American Folk Art.” Visual Grace: Important American Folk Art from the Collection of Ralph O. Esmerian. New York: Sotheby’s, 2014.
• "Pauline Burbidge in America." Pauline Burbidge: Works Between 1975 & 2012. Birmingham, England: Twisted Thread, 2012.
• "Dat So La Lee and Her Baskets," "Jewish American Folk Art: Between Two Worlds." and "A Fame Weathervane." Expressions of Innocence and Eloquence: Selections from The Jane Katcher Collection of Americana, Volume II. Seattle: Marquand Books, 2011.
• "Fundamentally Abstract: The Aesthetic Achievement of Amish Quiltmakers. “ Amish Abstractions: Quilts from the Collection of Faith and Stephen Brown. San Francisco: Pomegranate Communications in association with the San Francisco Fine Arts Museums, 2009.
• "Humanizing the Mundane," "Boxes and Baskets," "A Child's World: Academy and School Work," and ""United as This Heart You See: Memories of Friendship and Family." Expressions of Innocence and Eloquence: Selections from The Jane Katcher Collection of Americana. Seattle: Marquand Books in association with Yale University Press, 2006.
• "Julia Pfaff: Questions Without Answers." Julia Pfaff: Pattern, Narrative, Abstraction. Farmville, Virginia: The Longwood Center for the Visual Arts, 2006.
• Forward, QuiltArt 20. Edinburgh, Scotland: QuiltArt, July 2005.
• "Contemporary Quilts: An Introduction" and "Collecting Contemporary Quilts." Art Quilts: A Celebration. Asheville, NC: Lark Books, 2005.
• Introduction. Rooted in Tradition: Art Quilts from the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum. Virginia Beach, Virginia: Donning Company Publishers, June 2005.
• "America's Mythic Instrument." The Birth of the Banjo. Katonah, New York: The Katonah Museum of Art, 2003.
• "Introduction." Amish Quilts 1880-1940 from the Collection of Faith and Stephen Brown. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Art Museum, 2000
• “The McCleery Collection” and “American Bird Decoys.” American Waterfowl Decoys: The Distinguished Collection of Dr. James M. McCleery. New York: Sotheby’s, 2000.
• Consultant. Sotheby's Guide to American Folk Art. New York: Simon & Schuster. 1994.
• Introduction: The Art of Decoys" and "Collecting Decoys." The Great Book of Wildfowl Decoys. San Diego: Thunder Bay/Abbeville, 1990.
• Contributing author. An American Sampler: Folk Art from the Shelburne Museum. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 1987.
• "Piecework Pioneers." Studio Art Quilt Associates Journal, Spring 1014.
• "A History of the Art Quilt." Studio Art Quilt Associates Journal, Winter 2013-14.
• "Early American Decoys." Early American Life, October 2010
• "John M. Walsh III: Passionate Patron of the Art Quilt," Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, January 2006.
• "Five Decades of Unconventional Quilts." Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, five-part series, 2004.
• with Szego, Peter. "The Early Banjo." The Magazine ANTIQUES. December, 2003: 82-89.
• "The Art Quilt in 2003." FiberArts. November/December 2003: 37-44. (Interview of Robert Shaw by Sunita Patterson, editor, FiberArts.)
• "Tools of Deception: A History of American Bird Decoys." Wildfowl Art. Winter 2003: 3-7.
• "Contemporary Quilts: The John M. Walsh III Collection." FiberArts. January/February, 2002.
• "New England Baskets." The Magazine ANTIQUES. August 1998.
• "Cobalt-decorated Stoneware." Early American Homes. August 1998: 8-12.
• "Joel Barber: The Lost Birds," Decoy Magazine. September/October 1994.
• "The Shelburne Museum: The Folk Sculpture," "The Historic Structures " (with Ralph Nading Hill), and "A Pictorial Sampler." The Magazine ANTIQUES, February 1988.
• "American Quilts: The Democratic Art, 1780-2007." The Whatcom Museum, Bellingham, Washington, August-October 2012.
• "Radka Donnell: The Work of Touch." New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, Massachusetts, April-July 2009.
• "Three American Masters: Kate Adams, M. Joan Lintault, and Susan Shie." Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival, January 16-24, 2009, Tokyo, Japan.
• "Ogden M. Pleissner: The Sporting Grand Tour." American Museum of Fly Fishing, Manchester, VT, June-October, 2008.
• "The Birth of the Banjo." Katonah (NY) Museum of Art, November 2003- February 2004.
• "30 Distinguished Quiltmakers of the World 2003." Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival, Tokyo, Japan, January 2003
• "Amish Quilts 1880-1940 from the Collection of Faith and Stephen Brown." University of Michigan Art Museum, July-September, 2000
• "The 100 Best American Quilts of the 20th Century." International Quilt Festival, Houston, October 1999.
• "Call to the Sky: The Decoy Collection of James M. McCleery, M.D." Houston Museum of Natural Science, fall 1992.
• "Naive Visions: Children's Playthings from the Index of American Design and the Shelburne Museum." National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, December 1987.
• "An American Sampler: Folk Art from the Shelburne Museum." National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, opened November 1987, traveled to five other institutions.
• "A HIstory of the Art Quilt." The Whatcom Museum, Bellingham, Washington, 2012.
• "Jewish American Folk Art: Between Two Worlds," Symposium at the Fenimore Art Museum, Cooperstown, New York, 2011.
• "American Quilts: The Democratic Art." Symposium at the de Young Fine Arts Museum, San Francisco, December 2009.
• Keynote address: "The Evolution of the Art Quilt." Symposium organized by the Contemporary QuiltArt Association and presented by the Washington State History Museum, Tacoma, November, 2007.
• Keynote address: "Pushing the Envelope: 25 Years of Art Quilts." Symposium: Rooted in Tradition: The Art Quilt, Foothills Art Center, Golden, Colorado, June, 2005
• Keynote address: "Tools of Deception: American Bird Decoys." Sotheby's Symposium, New York, January 2000.
Other lecture venues include:
• American Craft Museum (now Museum of Arts & Design), New York
• American Decorative Arts Forum of Northern California, San Francisco
• American Folk Art Museum, New York
• Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth
• Cleveland State University
• Dallas Museum of Natural History
• Dallas Society of Antiques and Fine Arts
• Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, MA
• Heritage Museums and Gardens, Sandwich, MA
Houston Museum of Natural Science
• Museum of Our National History, Lexington, MA
• New England Quilt Museum
Norton Museum of Art, Palm Beach, FL
• Plains Art Museum, Fargo, ND
Quilters' Commection, Arlington, MA
San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles
• Schweinfurth Museum, Aurora, NY
• Ward Foundation Museum of Wildfowl Art , Salisbury, MD
BOOKS: EDITOR AND/OR PACKAGER
• Co-editor and packager, Inventing the American Guitar: The Pre-Civil War Innovations of C. F. Martin and His Contemporaries. New York: Hal Leonard Books, 2013.
• Editor, Andy Babiuk and Greg Prevost, Rolling Stones Gear: All the Stones' Instruments from Stage to Studio, New York and London: Backbeat Books,2014
• Editor, Alan Axelrod, Napoleon, CEO: 6 Principles to Guide & Inspire Modern Leaders. New York: Sterling Publishing, 2011.
• Editor, Classic Guitars (calendar). Petaluma, California: Pomegranate, 1998–2013.
• Editor and packager, The McCleery Auction. Dallas: Lake Emma Press, 2001.
• Editor and packager, Charles A. Robinson, Vermont Cabinetmakers and Chairmakers Before 1855: A Checklist. Shelburne, VT: The Shelburne Museum, 1994.